Pages

Saturday, November 28, 2009

16 Weeks - It's a girl!!!


Today I am 16 weeks pregnant, and today I found out that I am having a daughter!!! As much as Mike and I said we had no idea what the baby was, we were both totally shocked to find that we were having a little girl. We are still in somewhat of a state of shock (especially Mike), but we are very excited. Now I can start planning that Alice in Wonderland-themed nursery I was hoping for!

We couldn't wait for my big ultrasound at 21 weeks, so we went ahead and paid the $65 for a quick-look gender determination ultrasound. At first, my little girl was sleeping and didn't want to cooperate, so I went and emptied my bladder to give her more wiggle room. (I may have run and jumped up and down a few times to wake her up too...just maybe.) When I got back, she was much more cooperative and showed the ultrasound technician her little hoo-ha. The tech was able to tell right away that we were having a girl, and those three little lines made it pretty obvious. The tech also commented on how long baby's legs are - so we were right - she is going to take after me!


Aside from the genitals, our little girl is growing in many other ways. She is about to start a growth spurt over these next few weeks. Right now she is about the size of an avocado (although I think she is a little bit longer than average!)
Her toenails are now growing (little toenails that I'll be painting someday!) Her head is much more erect now, and her body is growing much faster than her head. The pattern of her scalp is beginning, but her hair isn't recognizable yet. Her ears are almost in their final position, and her eyes are more towards the center of her face, where they belong. Her heart is now pumping about 25 quarts of blood each day. Today her heartbeat was 158 bpm.

I am feeling great - my belly is growing little by little (and after Thanksgiving dinner and leftovers, I think that not all of it is caused by baby!). I'm still fitting in my jeans, but I am getting annoyed at having to wear the belly band over my unbuttoned pants. I think my next purchase will be a pair of maternity jeans, just for comfort's sake! I haven't felt her move yet, but I am anxiously waiting to feel that first little flutter!

16 Weeks

Now, on to shopping for my little girl (after I start my Christmas shopping!). I have already decided the theme of my nursery, but I have to work out all the details and see what kind of deals I can find on furniture! We're going to have to buy most things used, so hopefully there will be some nice stuff out there! I love this nursery, and I want to do something along these lines, but with fun Alice in Wonderland decorations. :) I know that I definitely don't want pink all over the place, and Mike is okay with that too. :)

No comments: