Pages

Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Chicken Pot Pie

Mike and I both love Chicken Pot Pie! I had an old recipe that I adored, but it is quite time-consuming, so I decided I was going to go with the simple way and throw cream of chicken soup in with the veggies. Well, lo and behold, I went to look in my pantry, and there was no soup in there! So, I created my own version of cream sauce for chicken pot pie. Here you have it:

Chicken Pot Pie


  • 2 chicken breasts
  • 1 bag frozen peas & carrots
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli
  • 1 frozen pie crust
  • 2 C chicken broth (or chicken bullion in water)
  • salt
  • pepper
  • thyme
  • parsley
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3/4 stick (6 tablespoons) unsalted butter
  • 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
The great thing about pot pie is that you can use whatever veggies you like. Potatoes are excellent, and corn would be good too. You can always use turkey or beef instead of chicken, as well.

  1. Preheat oven to 425. Boil the chicken until cooked through, then removed it from the stove and shredded it into bite-size pieces.
  2. Boil chicken broth (or bouillon), and add frozen vegetables. Once veggies are cooked, add chicken. Lower heat and simmer.
  3. In another saucepan cook the onion in the butter over moderately low heat, stirring, until it is softened, add the flour, and cook the roux, stirring, for 3 minutes.
  4. Add half of the broth from the veggie mixture in a stream, whisking, and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking. Add the roux to the pan with veggies and chicken. Add thyme, parsley (I use a lot of dried parsley flakes) and salt & pepper to taste.
  5. Place bottom of pie crust in baking pan. Fill pan with veggie & chicken mixture, and place top crust on top of pie. Poke holes in crust with fork.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 25 minutes or until crust is golden.
  7. Enjoy!
This turned out SO good. Mike adores pot pie...and I must admit, I love it too. :)

No comments: