Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Samantha's First Doctor Appointment

Sam had her first doctor visit today. It was quite eventful! We brought her into the office, and the nurse asked us to strip Samantha down. We were about to take off her diaper when we heard a massive blowout. Of course I was thrilled, since she has been behind on her poops, but boy, what a mess!!! After getting measured, we put her in the baby scale - still naked - and she peed all over the place! When we brought her back in the office, she peed all over the table. I couldn't stop laughing. :D

She is doing great. She weighed in at 7lb, 6oz, so she has already gained an ounce from her original birth weight. Her first night in the hospital she was 7lb, 1oz, so she gained it back fast. The average for babies getting back to their birth weight is at about one week, so she is ahead of the game. My little girl can definitely eat! We were having a bit of trouble getting her to latch on lately due to some engorgement issues, but we have several tips to help us now, and things are getting back to normal. Lately she's been eating every 1 1/2 hours or so. I can't wait until we can space out the feedings a bit more! All I do these days is feed her, change her, nap, and then do it all over again. I am loving it though. :)

Sam's color is good - no jaundice. She did lose her umbilical cord a bit early yesterday, because it got bumped. Mom felt SOOO bad - I didn't know what to do! It looks okay though. It's still a bit goopy, but the doc put some medicine on it to help dry it up. She'll have a cute belly button in no time! Everything else with her is right on track, and we go back again next week when she turns 2 weeks old.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

We have all been doing great here at home. Mike has been a lifesaver since he's been home from work. He helps out with all the cooking, cleaning, and all kinds of support for me. He goes back to work tomorrow, and I'm a little nervous. I'm going to have to make some adjustments to be able to find time to take care of myself when he's not here. I'm doing pretty well. I'm still really sore and always tired, and I get extremely emotional, but I am very happy, and I know it's worth it all. Samantha is still waking up every 1 to 1 1/2 hours most of the night, usually until around 5 am. From that point we can usually get sleep in 2 to 2 1/2 hour blocks until around 9 am. It's been getting easier to deal with, but I'm looking forward to having her sleep in longer chunks of time at night!

For those of you waiting for my birth story, it is coming! I wrote the draft, and it is LONG, so be prepared. I just need to find some time to sit down and proof read it, and I should have it up by the end of the week. (No promises though...I can make no promises these days!) I have no idea how mommy bloggers do it. I have NO time to do anything these days, and blogging just isn't priority right now. I'll do my best to keep you all updated as I have the time. Right now Sammy is sleeping all cuddled up in the Moby Wrap. She loves this thing! :)


Kacie said...

You will find the time, believe me! It is still so early...the next few weeks will be a wild journey. Enjoy it.

Carrie said...

So happy things are going well so far!! Your MD appt made me laugh. Hope you had brought enough diapers!! Good to know to always pack extras :).

zebe912 said...

I don't know that I've ever seen a short birth story, especially not from moms trying to do things naturally.

You'll find your groove soon & then you'll learn to type one handed or nurse at the keyboard. Then blogging will still take a long time, but be possible. :-) Good luck!

thanya said...

hehehe Your little one causing trouble already. ;) Tooo funny and too cute! Good to hear she's an eating machine and is nice and healthy!