Pages

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Mac & Cheese - unhealthy but OH SO GOOD

So, while we are on the subject of the boys being out of town and me being at home....let me just say, I ate about as unhealthy as one could imagine. Strange, but M is the one who wants a square meal, veggies and all. So, I decided to make some greasy, ooey gooey mac and cheese for myself while I was home alone.

I ROUGHLY followed this recipe, though I used whatever I had/wanted to use.
  • 1 Box Elbow Macaroni, I think 8 oz, but maybe more
  • 1/2 Stick Butter
  • 2+/- Tbsp. Flour
  • 1 1/2 C. Milk
  • 1/4 C. Cream (I used milk)
  • 1-2 tsp. Dry Mustard
  • Salt & Pepper to Taste
  • 2 C. Shredded White Cheddar (I used all sorts of good stuff...gouda, provolone, etc.)
  • 1/2 C. Grated Parmesan Cheese
  • 1/4 C. Grated Romano Cheese
  • Panko breadcrumbs, enough to coat top
Preheat over to 350 degrees.
  1. Cook macaroni according to package and drain. Pour into a large casserole dish and set aside.
  2. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat.
  3. Stir in the flour, adding slowly until mixture is smooth and a little thick.
  4. Slowly whisk in the milk, bringing to a gentle boil, thickening the sauce. When it is smooth and creamy, mix in the cream.
  5. Stir in the mustard and salt and pepper to your tastes.
  6. Stir in the cheeses until melted.
  7. Pour the cheese sauce over the cooked macaroni in the casserole pan. Sprinkle panko on the top of the mac n cheese until a you get a nice coating.
  8. Bake in oven until hot and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Stirring together the butter and flour.

Mixing the cheeses together.

Melted cheese, butter, flour, salt & pepa

The whole concoction, ready to go into the oven.

All toasty and ready to eat. OMG, yum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments: