Chicken and Potatoes over Sauteed Spinach
(recipe adapted from Cooking Light - www.myrecipes.com)
This recipe exemplifies the Chinese technique of red cooking--braising meat in a flavorful combination of soy sauce, ginger, alcohol, and spices. Serve in shallow rimmed soup bowls so you can enjoy all the broth. Sautéed mustard greens would also be good with this dish.
6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups chicken mixture and about 1/3 cup spinach)
- 4 cups thinly sliced leek (about 4 large)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery (My celery was all wilty, so I used shredded carrot instead - it tasted great, and added some color!)
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup julienne-cut peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup dry vermouth or dry sherry (I used the dry sherry)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into thirds (I used chicken breasts...I prefer white meat to dark!)
- 1 1/2 pounds peeled white potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
- 2 (10-ounce) packages fresh spinach, divided
Combine first 8 ingredients in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; bring to a boil. Add chicken; return to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add potatoes; return to a simmer. Cover and cook 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in cilantro and pepper.
Heat oils in another Dutch oven or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of spinach; cook 1 minute, tossing constantly. Add remaining spinach; cook 2 minutes or until spinach wilts, tossing constantly. Serve chicken mixture over spinach.
Note: I didn't cook the spinach - I just drizzled sesame oil over it and tossed it well. Then I served the chicken mixture on top.
- Calories: 343 (20% from fat)
- Fat: 7.6g (sat 1.5g,mono 2.7g,poly 2.2g)
- Protein: 29.6g
- Carbohydrate: 39.4g
- Fiber: 6.1g
- Cholesterol: 94mg
- Iron: 6.2mg
- Sodium: 846mg
- Calcium: 170mg