I used my friend April's recipe for Whole Wheat Pizza Dough. (I made the 1 pound option.)
To make 1 pound dough:
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 package quick-rising yeast (2 1/4 teaspoons), such as Fleischmann’s RapidRise
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup hot water (120-130°F)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1. Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, yeast, salt and sugar in a food processor; pulse to mix. Combine hot water and oil in a measuring cup. With the motor running, gradually pour in enough of the hot liquid until the mixture forms a sticky ball. The dough should be quite soft. If it seems dry, add 1 to 2 tablespoons warm water; if too sticky, add 1 to 2 tablespoons flour. Process until the dough forms a ball, then process for 1 minute to knead.
2. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface. Coat a sheet of plastic wrap with cooking spray and place it, sprayed-side down, over the dough. Let the dough rest for 10 to 20 minutes before rolling.
3. Place a pizza stone or inverted baking sheet on the lowest oven rack;preheat oven to 500°F or highest setting. Roll and top the pizza as desired(we suggest a 13-inch circle) and bake the pizza until the bottom is crisp and golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Serve immediately
Make Ahead Tip: Store in a plastic bag coated with cooking spray in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Bring to room temperature before using.
- Per 12 ounces: 766 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 142 g carbohydrate; 26 g protein; 16 g fiber; 1,882 mg sodium.
- Per 1 pound: 1,032 calories; 18 g fat (3 g sat, 12 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 189 g carbohydrate; 33 g protein; 21 g fiber; 2,509 mg sodium.
Healthy Spinach & Artichoke Chicken Pizza
(I didn't get pictures, since the party was already started by the time it came out of the oven, but mine looked about like Joelen's!)
1 chicken breast, diced (I used a rotisserie chicken because I ran out of time to defrost and cook my own chicken)
garlic salt to taste
1/2 cup artichoke hearts (frozen, canned or jarred)
1/2 cup frozen spinach
1/2 tablespoon garlic salt
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup homemade cream of chicken soup (Again, since I was pressed for time, I used fat free canned cream of chicken soup)
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
Heat a pan over medium heat.
Toss garlic salt over chicken breast to season.
Spray pan with cooking spray and saute seasoned chicken.
Continue cooking chicken until done. (I skipped all this...)
While chicken is cooking, combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, except for the 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.
Spread this spinach & artichoke topping over the prepared pizza dough.
Top with the sauteed (or shredded rotisserie!) chicken and remaining mozzarella cheese.
Bake in the preheated oven until the bottom is crisp and golden, 10 to 14 minutes. Serve immediately.
(I actually forgot to mix the cheese in earlier, so I just put it all on top. It worked fine!)