Pages

Saturday, April 3, 2010

34 Weeks

Today I am 34 weeks pregnant. Time is really going fast!!! We are officially to the point now where if she decides she is ready to be born, we won't stop the labor. (Although I'm not really expecting any labor action for several more weeks!) If she were to be born now, she might need a short stay in the neonatal nursery and may have a few short-term health issues, but in the long run, she would probably do as well as full-term babies. Baby is still in the 5lb / 18" range for now. I still can't believe she's up to as much as 5lbs - I really don't feel like my belly is any heavier than it was when she was 2lbs. It's definitely bigger though! She's continuing to put on fat, and her skin is smoothing out more and more.
It's about time for her to start moving down into my pelvis. (It's about time, since my ribs have totally disappeared, and I'm starting to feel like my belly is up to my chin!) I can definitely feel her down in the pelvic regions at times. I get these electric shocks down there whenever she presses up against a nerve. That is NOT so much fun! I'm definitely waddling a lot now, and the pressure on my bladder is crazy. I went from not getting up to pee at all during the night to getting up once or twice every night. This is definitely a new development for me! I'm pretty sure she's still got some moving down to do though, since I still feel like she is up really high under my ribs. I'm still not having many Braxton Hicks contractions. They are less frequent now than they were for a while there.
34 Weeks

Lately I keep feeling a lot of regret for not exercising. I used to try to exercise at least once or twice a week, and I vowed that I would continue to do so throughout my pregnancy. I work long hours, and the only time I had to work out was at lunch or after work. During the first trimester I was too tired, and ended up napping during lunch, and I was exhausted after work and wanted nothing but sleep. In the second trimester, I was too hungry. I intended to work out at lunch, but my growling stomach had other plans for me. By the time I got off work, all I could think about was getting home to eat dinner. And then by the time the third trimester rolled around, I was so out of the habit that I had no desire and couldn't force myself to go to the gym.

I am so disappointed in myself. I know that I would have gained weight anyway...that's a given. It's the lack of muscle that makes me so sad. I was always so careful to keep my butt and legs in decent shape, and now they are shapeless and flabby. I really wanted to keep them up, not only for appearance, but to help me through labor. Now I have NO muscle strength in my legs to help with pushing or anything. I feel like I really let myself down, and I have no one but myself to blame. I tried prenatal yoga and loved it, but I've been to a whopping FOUR classes in the past 8 months. Next time I get pregnant, I am definitely making exercise a priority. I know I will have a little girl to take care of, but I will make sure that exercise is a part of both of our lives. I can't let anything work take priority over taking care of myself next time.

Anyway...enough of that. I just had to get that out. So, to any newly pregnant girls out there, that is my biggest advice - DON'T GIVE UP on working out!!!! I am really going to have my work cut out for me to get back in shape after this baby is born.

Otherwise though, I'm feeling really good lately. Nothing really to complain about this week. I'm just enjoying all the crazy movements going on in my belly. I really think I am going to miss being pregnant. It will be wonderful to have my daughter in my arms, but it's going to be very strange to not feel her inside my belly all the time. We have such a bond right now. I love being able to feel her every movement. It's going to be a strange, empty feeling when she's not in there anymore! But, it will be even better, I'm sure. :) I can't wait to meet her!!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Alanna, you will have absolutely no problem getting back into the shape that you want to be! Breastfeeding can do wonders for most women. I lost all of my 18lbs of baby weight in 9 days thanks to my booby fiend!
And, having your baby in your arms is SO much better than having her in your tummy! It is so nice to hear of your bond with her already <3 It will only increase as time goes on!
Good luck with everything!

Tessa said...

Sweetie, you're being too hard on yourself. Making a baby is a LOT of work and is exhausting! I put on 40 pounds with Belle and was too sick to exercise, but still had the strength to push her out in 30 minutes (and it was easy) and was in a bikini 4 months later. With G I only put on 30 pounds, once again didn't work out, pushed her out in 15 minutes and had lost all of the baby weight by the time she was 3 weeks old! Breastfeeding does wonders, plus I don't see you sitting around easting bon bons post-baby. You'll be up, walking, and having fun with her in no time!

Remember, don't sweat the small stuff. All that matters is you're having a healthy pregnancy and taking care of yourself!!!! Everything else will take care of itself.

Alanna said...

Thanks, girls! Hopefully it will go as easily for me as it did for you. I'm definitely planning on being active as soon as possible after she's born!

thanya said...

You look great, girl! Don't even fret about the whole exercise bit! As long as you feel great and you and the little one are healthy, that's all that matters! :)