Pages

Monday, January 21, 2008

Chargers Cupcakes



In honor of my team's incredible football season, I baked Charger cupcakes for our championship game. While the boys didn't win, they put forth a valiant effort in spite of many injured players on the team. And the cupcakes sure were a hit!

I used my friend Clara's "Blue Velvet" recipe (or Red Velvet, using blue food coloring.) They did turn out more teal than blue, but everyone understood that they were meant to be Charger blue!

I was not a huge fan of this recipe...there was SOOOO much oil in them, it was grossing me out. After baking, the cupcakes were so greasy, they fell right out of the paper liners! They have got to be super unhealthy. But, they were tasty! I cheated and frosted them with store-bought cream cheese frosting. The bolts aren't beautiful, but I had fun making them. :)


(I had to take a picture of the cupcake on my new plates...they were a perfect match!)

Makes ~24 servings (1 cupcake=1 serving)
Calories/serving (cupcake only) = ~267 (www.sparkrecipes.com)
WW pts/serving (cupcake only) = ~7

Red Velvet Cupcakes

INGREDIENTS

2.5 cups plain flour
1 cup buttermilk
1.5 cups sugar
2 cups oil
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp red food coloring (I used blue food coloring)
2 eggs

COOKING INSTRUCTIONS

> Cream sugar and oil
> Sift flour, salt and baking soda and mix with cocoa, red food coloring, vinegar, and eggs.
> Add flour mixture to the creamed sugar alternately with buttermilk.
> Stir in vanilla.
> Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

3 comments:

CB said...

OMG. I freaking love them! What a great job! Did you try the egg white idea?

Alanna said...

No, I didn't bother because I could already tell they were teal instead of blue. I think maybe the cocoa is what caused it, since at that point, it was the only ingredient that wasn't white! Next time, I'll just make white cupcakes and color them blue. :)

Stef said...

Wow! That cupcake is so blue! Crazy! Very unique!