Pages

Monday, February 4, 2008

Superbowl Cupcakes


Well, I'm a little embarrassed to post my cupcakes after seeing the incredibly cute ones CB made, but since I have pictures, I suppose I might as well go for it.

I finally decided to install Picasa on my computer at work so I can resize pictures. Thus, I will be able to BU from work!

I used the recipe from Hungry Girl for Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes. I liked them because of the beautiful red color! I felt like I was cheating a bit, since I was using box mixes, but I only used a cup of each, and then used my own ingredients. Still, not my favorite way to do things. I used regular sugar rather than Splenda, because I HATE the taste of fake sugar. The frosting was delicious!!! And the cupcakes were SO moist, and very chocolatey and red. I was a little disappointed because the minute I took them out of the oven, the nice smooth tops settled a bit and got wrinkly. :( Fortunately, the frosting covered that up, but I was still kind of sad.

I think they looked pretty cute...superbowl colors (I liked the powder blue...I still had to represent my Chargers!) They were VERY popular at the party. I was watching...several people at 3 of them! Mike said they were MUCH better than the blue velvet cupcakes I made 2 weeks ago.



HG's Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes

Red HOT!

These cupcakes are so moist, so delicious, so RED, and so completely guilt-free, that writing extra words to introduce this recipe would be a complete and total waste of everyone's time. So here ya go... HG's Red Velvet Insanity Cupcakes!

Ingredients:

For Frosting
6 tbsp. Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Creme
6 tbsp. Cool Whip Free, thawed
1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
1 tbsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated) (I used regular sugar)
(I added blue food coloring)

For Cupcakes
1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Devil's Food**
1 cup Pillsbury Moist Supreme Reduced Sugar Cake Mix, Classic Yellow**
Two 25-calorie diet hot cocoa mix packets
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters) (I used 2 eggs)
1/4 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, divided (I overdid the chips...more chocolate!)
1/2 oz. red food coloring
1 tsp. Splenda No Calorie Sweetener (granulated) (I used regular sugar)
1/8 tsp. salt

Directions:
Place half of your chocolate chips (2 tbsp.) and the contents of both cocoa packets in a tall glass. Add 12 ounces of boiling water, and stir until chips and cocoa mix have dissolved. Place glass in the freezer until mixture is cold (about 30 minutes). Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a bowl, mix together marshmallow creme, cream cheese, and 1 tbsp. Splenda until smooth. Fold in Cool Whip. Place bowl in the fridge to chill until cupcakes are ready to be frosted. Once the cocoa in the freezer has chilled, give it a stir, and pour it into a large mixing bowl. Add the cake mixes, egg substitute, remaining chocolate chips, red food coloring, 1 tsp. Splenda, and salt. Using a whisk or fork, mix batter for about 2 minutes (until smooth and blended). Batter will be thin, but don't worry, your cupcakes will puff up once baked! Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking cups, and spray lightly with nonstick spray (or simply spray the pan with nonstick spray). Evenly spoon batter into the pan. Place pan in the oven, and bake for 15 - 20 minutes. Cupcakes will look shiny when done. Once cupcakes have cooled completely, evenly spread the frosting over them. Enjoy! MAKES 12 SERVINGS


Serving Size: 1 frosted cupcake
Calories: 134
Fat: 3g
Sodium: 266mg
Carbs: 25g
Fiber: 0.75g
Sugars: 11g
Protein: 3g

POINTS® value 3*

6 comments:

Nina said...

I love your cupcakes! Looks so yummy!

Amanda said...

Looks delish! Go Chargers and yeah for 3 pt cuppycakes!!

CB said...

Thats crazy! We both made red velvet. GMTA! Love the team spirit! I wish I could get mine as red... I suck at that for some reason. haha.

Alanna said...

A tablespoon of food coloring definitely did the trick!!! I'm all out now....

CB said...

Ah ok! I use the coloring paste not the liquid so I had no idea how to compare. Why do I always make things *more* complicated? haha.

Alanna said...

I was just thinking I need to get some of that paste coloring so I can color my frosting better!!!