Pages

Saturday, January 23, 2010

24 Weeks

Today I am 24 weeks pregnant. Today marks another milestone in Baby's development - she has now reached the point of Viability! If something were to happen, God forbid, and she were to be born now, there is a chance that she would be able to survive. She would need lots of medical care, and would probably have developmental issues so we want to keep her growing for a few more months. But it is very exciting to know that we have reached this level!

She is about as long as an ear of corn (about a foot long). She's put on somewhere close to 4 ounces, which puts her at over a pound now. She's still pretty skinny, but she is growing proportionately and will start putting on some chub soon.



Her brain is also growing quickly now, and her taste buds are continuing to develop. Her lungs are developing "branches" of the respiratory "tree" as well as cells that produce surfactant, a substance that will help her air sacs inflate once she hits the outside world. Her skin is still thin and translucent, but that will start to change soon.

As for me, the top of my uterus has risen to about 2 inches above my belly button and is now about the size of a soccer ball. I don't think I look quite as big as a soccer ball yet, but sometimes I sure feel like I do! It's funny how some people that I see frequently make comments about how much I've popped out, while other people look at my belly and comment on how I'm hardly showing. I guess it's all individual perspective! I feel like I'm big, but I know that I have SO much growing to do still. I feel like I'm big until I look at my pictures, and I realize that I'm really not. I'm still one of the smallest girls in my prenatal yoga class!
24 Weeks

I was supposed to have my 24 week doctor appointment yesterday, but it got postponed until Monday. I was SO disappointed - I've been looking forward to this for a month! I had just skipped my lunch break in preparation to go to the doctor when I got the call. Oh well, now I have something to look forward to on Monday! I have so many questions for him this month. I'm guessing that we'll be scheduling my glucose screening for this next month. I'm also wondering if I'll be starting bi-weekly appointments after this next visit as well. Time really is moving along!

I haven't made any more progress on the nursery yet, but I did get all of my Alice in Wonderland fabric in the mail. Mike's not a fan of it - he thinks it's too mature for a baby. I told him to just deal with it and trust me and let me do my thing, but the designer in him wants to take over. Too bad...he'll have to wait for the next baby! I already have my vision for this one. Hopefully I'll be able to buy all the little odds and ends soon and get started on my sewing projects. Money is so tight right now though, I don't think I'll be able to do as much as I had hoped. Hopefully we will be able to buy a glider rocker today for $50 (thank you, Craigslist!) and as soon as our crib is back in stock, we'll have to fork over a chunk of money for that. The crib itself is fairly inexpensive, but once you add in the mattress, it racks up quickly! I'm so anxious to start buying more big ticket items off our registry, but I'm trying to restrain myself until after my shower so I can see what I still need!

Other than that, I'm just doing more reading on childbirth preparation. Classes start in a few weeks, and I can hardly wait! I'll be back on Monday with an update from my doctor appointment!

3 comments:

CB said...

Get a load of those knockers! Leave it to me to notice the b(.)(.)bs right? ;)

Annie and Jordan said...

Your belly is adorable! A definite pop!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your belly grow each week. You are absolutely adorable.