Pages

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Time Management

I'm really struggling with time management right now. I have so many big things to prepare for in the coming months, and I am having a hard time knowing how to prioritize my time. For one thing, I get home from work so late every night that by the time I get home and make dinner, I am too exhausted to work on any projects. I end up reading or watching TV for 30 minutes or an hour, and then passing out in bed. The only time I have to work on my important personal projects is on the weekends - and that time flies!

Here are the major concerns I have right now:

1) Binding books and coming up with my personal style for my product. I need to have this product on hand so that Mike can more efficiently design a logo and website for me so that I can get my business up and running. I want to have this all in place BEFORE the baby arrives.

2) Researching baby items (safety, value, etc.) so that I know what items to register for. I need to do this before I go register, and I would like to register within the next month so that it is all taken care of before my baby shower. Registering will also give me a better idea of how to decorate the nursery.

3) Decorating the nursery - I want to register before I start buying a lot of baby items, but there are some furniture items (like a glider, dresser, etc.) that we will probably just buy on our own. Plus, we will need to paint, and I want to have that done before we start filling the room with furniture and supplies.

4) Researching child birth methods. I pretty much have this under control, since I've been doing a lot of reading, and I just signed up for childbirth classes (yay!). I do still have about 5 books on my to-be-read list that I'd like to finish before I go into labor. I am borrowing a couple of them, so I'd like to at least finish those so I can return them soon.


I have no idea where to begin. I feel like the bookbinding should be a priority so that I can have my business ready to go, which will relieve some of my stress about how we are going to survive once the baby comes. This is something I've been working towards for over a year now, and I just want to have it started already. At the same time, I feel like I really need to focus on my baby research. I am only about 1/8 of the way through the Baby Bargains book, and I've barely scratched the surface. I want to register soon (preferably in the next week or two - Mike wants us to do it with his mom when she's in town, but I do NOT like that idea! If I go with anyone other than Mike, it will be a brand new mom friend of mine!) and I need to have my research done first. I feel like I'm wasting valuable bookbinding time when I'm doing baby stuff though. I'm so conflicted about this. I think I can wait on the nursery until after I register. But as far as reading childbirth books and researching baby supplies, I don't know how to manage those with my bookbinding.

How would YOU schedule your time if this was your situation?

4 comments:

Music said...

My suggestion is to stop reading "Baby Bargains" and just use their lists. There's a list int he back of things you need, and in each chapter, they summarize everything and give their top picks in different categories. You don't need to read every review of every product-- focus on the ones they recommend and if you don't like their recommendations on a particular product, *then* read the more detailed part. That's what we did and it worked very well!

Alanna said...

Ooh, thanks - I didn't even think to check in the back. I'm so used to reading cover to cover! You might be a lifesaver. :)

Unknown said...

Check out my blog I just gave you an award.
http://stoneyville-stumbull.blogspot.com/

Music said...

I just pulled out my copy of the book (I didn't have it with me when I commented). It's all about Appendix B, which is a sample registry! That will tell you all the things you need (and how many) and it also lists their top recommendation in each category.